How many of us have made a mistake in our lives?
Every one of us! One of the most comforting things I have learned from studying literature that spans centuries is that I have come to understand one invaluable lesson: whatever error or mistake we make; someone, somewhere in history has already made it already!
As part of the human race we share a number of important things:
1. We are made of blood, muscle and bones.
2. We feel sadness, anger, love, jealousy, joy and many other emotions.
3. We are mortal.
4. We are all connected.
5. We ALL make mistakes.
Avril Lavigne sings in her song, Complicated, “Chill out, what you yellin’ for?
Lay back, it’s all been done before,” so we can comfort ourselves in the fact that whatever we do to err in this life; it’s already been done at least once – probably millions of times!
How do we deal with the fact that we are not perfect and that we do make mistakes?
1. We need to embrace our darkness – that part of ourselves that is quite capable – if not expert – at making mistakes.
2. We need to own up to our mistakes the best we can and be determined to learn from them; so that we do not repeat them and we are able to approach the same situation in a much better and clearer perspective next time.
3. We need to remember that what our mistakes teach us most of all is this: To not judge others when they make mistakes and to demonstrate compassion to others in their mistakes.
4. We need to learn to demonstrate that same compassion for ourselves – that is the ONLY way to be more compassionate to our fellow human.
5. We need to learn to forgive ourselves when we make a mistake and not ruminate about it – thinking about our error will indefinitely lead to more mistakes as we will not be focused on improving, but on our fear of faltering again, and therefore, we will re-create more mistakes.
Next Post: Our Ugly Side – How to Embrace It!
Making Mistakes to Enhance Self-Esteem and Improve Performance http://www.excelatlife.com/articles/mistakes.htm
How to Bounce back from a Mistake: http://99u.com/tips/7089/How-To-Bounce-Back-From-A-Big-Mistake
Try Again by Aaliyah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjnbozivsEo